OGVG Heated Chilled Bell Pepper Soup
- 4 medium Ontario greenhouse bell peppers (red, yellow or orange)
- 2 pounds (908 g) Ontario greenhouse tomatoes
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 Scotch Bonnet chilies, finely chopped, stems and seeds discarded
- ¼ cup and 2 tbsp. (93 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (500 ml) chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup (125 ml) cream
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Coat the Ontario greenhouse bell peppers with a thin layer of olive oil.
- On high heat, roast bell peppers on gas burner racks or on a barbeque until skins are black.
- Transfer to a medium bowl, cover and chill. Cut in half, remove black skin and discard the stem and seeds.
- Bring water to a boil. Score the bottom of Ontario greenhouse tomatoes, reduce heat and blanch the tomatoes in simmering water for about 30 seconds, then place in an ice bath.
- Peel and chop the tomatoes. Reserve the juices.
- Peel and chop the tomatoes. Reserve the juices. In a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat, add 1 tbsp. (15 ml) of oil, onions, garlic, chilies, 1 tsp. (5 g) salt and ¼ tsp. (2 g) pepper. Sauté for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, the tomato juice, bell peppers, broth and ¼ tsp. (2 g) salt. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Purée soup in a blender, then strain. Add cream and season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Chill the soup and serve.
Nutritional Facts per serving (642 g): Calories 380 Fat 27 g (42 %), Saturated Fat 6 g + Trans Fat 0 g (30 %), Cholesterol 15 mg, Sodium 210 mg (9 %), Carbohydrate 32 g (11 %), Fibre 5 g (20%), Sugars 15 g, Protein 8 g, Vit A (20 %), Vit C (530 %), Calcium (8 %), Iron (15 %). % = % Daily Value
Recipe from the Ontario Greenhouse Vegetable Growers' 'A taste of Ontario' cookbook.