Marinated Portabella Burger
- 4 large fresh portabella Mushroom caps (about 4 oz/125 g each)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red dry wine or balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced garlic
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Each dried thyme, and rosemary
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) honey Dijon mustard
- 4 whole wheat or multigrain hamburger or Kaiser buns
- 2 medium roasted red sweet peppers*, halved
- 4 small lettuce leaves
A delicious vegetarian option to regular burgers since grilled portabellas have a meat–like texture and flavour.
- Preparation Time: 5 min.
- Cooking Time: 10 min.
- Marinating Time: 1-2 hours
- Place mushrooms in resealable plastic bag.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl mix wine, garlic oil, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Pour over mushrooms and seal the bag.
- Marinate at room temperature for 1-2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove from marinade and broil or cook on hot barbecue for 3-5 minutes on each side or until warmed through and softened.
- Halve the buns and toast or warm on grill;
- spread cut side of buns with mustard;
- place lettuce on bottom half of buns, top with grilled mushrooms, roasted red pepper halves and top half of bun.
Makes 4 Servings.*Roasted red peppers are available in jars or in some deli sections of supermarket OR grill, peel and freeze when peppers are in abundance.Variations:
- Top each cooked mushroom cap with 1 tbsp (15 mL) chevre (soft goat cheese) and return to grill to warm cheese before placing on the bun.
- Spread both top and bottom bun with Mushroom Aioli instead of mustard.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving): Calories: 392, Sodium: 670 mg, Protein: 10.1 g, Fat: 19.1 g, Carbohydrates: 46.7 g, Dietary Fibre: 8.3 gFind more great mushroom recipes at www.mushrooms.ca